Can you suggest an alternative measurement for the filler component of Builders Bog
Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:54
Forums

Hello, can you suggest an alternative measurement for the filler component of Builders Bog that would equal the “match box” suggested on the tin? For example, would a ¼ cup measure be approximately the same or is there something more accurate. We are a couple of seniors who don’t have a box of matches in the home.

Kindest regards, Clare & Maurie Hamilton

Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:55

I am sorry for the delay in replying. I have been off work with a virus. I too am a Senior! A matchbox hold s about 30 Ml. A breakfast cup holds 280 ml, a standard US cup is 236 mls and an Imperial standard cup is 250 ml. So a 1/4 cup is about 2 matchboxes full. a golf ball-size of paste is about 30 ml too, but this is an English golf ball. A US golf ball is way bigger.

It is very hard to know how people will assess volumes, but the volume % of red hardener should be 2% of the paste and the weight % should be 2.5%. The difference is because the paste weighs much less per gram than the hardener. We have built in a huge margin for error in Builders Bog, so if you get it wrong it will not matter too much. But it may gel faster than you want if you use too much hardener, and if you really go too heavy with the hardener it will not fully harden ever. Having said this, you may wonder why you just don’t use a single pack product and just let it dry naturally.

But, having applied a decent thickness of a water- or solvent-based filler, and then finding you have to wait several days for it to dry throughout. And then having to apply more and wait even longer, because the first lot shrunk – you will be converted to the two-pack, instant through-hardening, quick action concept of Builders Bog. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me more questions if you wish. I will reply more promptly, because I am now back on deck.

Regards
Stuart Jordan
Managing Director

Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:56

Many thanks for your kind help and support. Your wonderful instructions gave us confidence to do the job, and today we successfully filled a large area of an external window sill which had been affected with wood rot. With our sincere appreciation and kind regards,

Clare & Maurie Hamilton