I have been trying to use some Newtech filler in a car.
Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:33
Forums

Hi there,
I have been trying to use some Newtech filler in a car. My problem is that the mix of activator to filler may be too low and the Newtech won’t set. At first the Newtech was setting too fast like in 3 or 4 minutes. So I used less activator. It seemed to be setting and hardening, but now several hours later it has still not set or hardened properly.

What can I do? Will it harden if I wait long enough? If so how long?

Lets say the ratio of activator to Newtech is 1 to 100 for example. Will that set and harden eventually? Or do I need to attack the filler I have put in and try to remove it and start all over again? That would be very difficult. I seem to have a complete stuff up at the moment.

Will the Newtech at a 1% ratio of activator to filler harden eventually?

There is no information on the internet that I can find discussing this problem. Can you give me some advice please?

Yours faithfully, Joe

Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:34

Newtech repairer will Gel in anything from 4 to 10 minutes, depending on temperature and amount of hardener used. At higher temperatures, as we have this summer, there is a temptation to use hardener well outside the ratio range we specify, which is 2 to 3% by weight.

Cure will be sufficient from about 1.5 to 4 % by weight, but outside this range becomes influenced by temperatures, and at 1% and below 20 Deg C may not take place.There is another factor which comes to mind. The red hardener contains 20% water to make it safe. When stored at temperatures above 25 Deg C for long periods (more than a year or two) some of this water may separate out as a red or milky liquid on top of the red paste.

This water is inactive and should be discarded before using the hardener. Since this is an age and storage fault and there are many other factors like this that can affect the product, we cannot fit them all into the directions on the can. They would be very rare occurrences and I have never been asked about this kind of thing since Newtech was invented 30-odd years ago.But I wonder if something like this applied in your case? From what you say, I doubt if the product will now cure sufficiently, and I am fairly sure you have less than 1% by weight of active hardener in your uncured mix.

I have just asked our laboratory to try 0.75% red hardener by weight at today’s temperature too see what happens. I will let you know.

Regards
Stuart Jordan
Managing Director
Chemical Specialties Ltd.