I have a concrete bird bath I want to repair
Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:30
Forums

Hi I have a concrete bird bath I want to repair and want to know if turbo best to use but more importantly I need to construct a framework for the bog to sit in to fix it BUT NOT STICK TO IT. Can I use grease to stop it adhering to the metal (temporary) framework.

Thanks, Lex

Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:31

You have not specified which TURBO product you are asking about. We have a new one not launched into NZ hardware yet, but going very strongly in Australia called TURBO CONCRETE BOG.This would be good to repair a bird bath. It is a 2 pack like Builder’s Bog and Body Filler, but contains sand so is abrasive and not good for chiselling sawing and filing. But it looks just like concrete when set. It comes in 1 litre and you could get a can directly from us for cash $30.00 if suitable before it reaches NZ hardware stores later this year.

Otherwise either of the other two products mentioned will do the job.

For a release coating I always use a paste furniture wax, not grease. Grease, being more sticky, might dissolve in the filler somewhat before it hardens and leave a softened surface. I am not sure on this, though, because it has not been tried here.

Mould release waxes also work, but are not much different from paste furniture waxes in this application.

Stuart Jordan
Managing Director
Chemical Specialties Ltd.

I will need to smooth it afterwards so perhaps the concrete bog might not be best? Can I use builders bog instead because I know that can be smoothed. Sorry to bother you again.

Lex.

Sorry for the late reply. I had a terrible ‘Flu and have just returned to work. Builder’s Bog will work fine for your project. I will not have the texture, colour and feel of concrete as Concrete Bog does

Regards,
Stuart Jordan
Managing Director
Chemical Specialties Ltd.