I have a specific need to use the Builders Bog product bog in a slightly thinner form
Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:43
Forums

I am an avid user of your Builders Bog from anything from house repairs to creating sculptures. I have a specific need to use the Builders Bog product bog in a slightly thinner form than it is in the tin. I think that acetone might do the trick but am concerned that that might affect the product’s ability to set hard. As such I wonder if you could advise what I could use to create a bit more fluid a mix without affecting its after setting hardness too adversely.

Regards,
Allen Horstmanshof, 28.6.2013

Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:44

I am sorry about the delay in answering yoour question, but I have been unwell for a few days. Builder’s Bog contains no solvents. Acetone will thin it, but it will become trapped in the cured matrix and take a long time to escape – weeks, months or never, depending on the tickness of the casting. It will also degrade the cured properties somewhat (mainly soften them). It can be thinned with a polyester resin. but again only a small quantity can be added, because the resin in Builder’s Bog is different from those used in fibreglassing (MEKP-cured), which are the only types you can buy from a fibreglass shop. In about 3 months time we will have a Turbo Fibreglass Repair Kit on the market in Australia, and the resin for this kit will use a liquid form of the BPO hardener we supply for Builder’s Bog. This resin will be available in 250, 500 and 1 litre cans and will do the thinning job admirably. I hope this helps. Please keep in touch if you need further information.

Regards
Stuart Jordan
Managing Director, Chemical Specialties Ltd.