I want to inject some Bog into a cavity left within a timber balcony post.
Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:59
Forums

Hi, I want to inject some Bog into a cavity left within a timber balcony post. Is there an way to thin the mix (with a minimal amount of hardener) so that it won’t clog the syringe. Reasonable hole size 2 mm? Then I want to be able to clean the syringe quickly? & get another shot or more in, if I can.

Regards Bill Passmore Sydney

Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 17:00

Builders Bog could be thinned by adding polyester resin, but you need the resin used with BPO hardener not the MEKP hardener boat and other common fibreglass resins use. And this will probably be impossible to buy in less than drum lots! You cannot use solvents – there are no actual solvents in Builders Bog (hence the lack of shrinkage when it cures). The cross linking agents in Builders Bog will dissolve the piston in most syringes, so I would not try this method. An “ícing bag” – disposable polyethylene bag full of Builders Bog with one corner cut off to squeeze out the filler -works OK, but Builders Bog is too thixotropic (anti-slump) to inject effectively.

All in all this is not very encouraging, but when we want to fill a deep hole we push the stuff in with a small spatula, and this always works. I have attached some photos of the repair to a rotted mortise and tenon joint on a French door done many years ago now. The cavity here was about 4 inches deep and the repair quite simple and very quick. The whole set of photos shows how the abuilders Bog was put in, in about 5 stages (5 mixes that is) to give plenty of time to work each lot into the cavity. Your post may be quite different from this, but I hope this helps. I am out of the office until Thursday, so I have copied this email to other staff, so you don’t get too many other replies in my absence!

Regards
Stuart Jordan
Managing Director