I want to use paving paint over existing cement and tiled steps.
Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:38
Forums

I want to use paving paint over existing cement and tiled steps. To ensure the paint adheres to the steps, I thought of covering them with a thin layer of Builders Bog. Will this product permanently adhere to ceramic quarry tiles (they look to be a 1970’s style) and withstand light foot traffic?

Chris,

Submitted by admin on Tue, 06/14/2022 - 16:39

Builder’s Bog is primarily meant to adhere to timber by crosslinking with the cellulose in the fibres. In general, polyester resins (which are what Builder’s Bog contains) are not strong adhesives when compared with things like epoxies, urethanes etc. Therefore, because of these two facts, I do not think your proposed method is the best one. A two-pack epoxy prime coat would give better adhesion in my view.

A good moisture cure (single pack) urethane paving paint should give ample adhesion to quarry tiles, and this is what I would apply. Durapave used to be such a product, but I note they changed the formula to an alkyd enamel some time ago. This would probably not work as well. I would phone a paint company to enquire about epoxy or urethane primers.

Regards
Stuart Jordan
Managing Director
Chemical Specialties Ltd.